New-Banner

Friday, February 02, 2007

The Day the Music Died

Tomorrow marks the 48th anniversay of the deaths of Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper. Their plane crashed the day after their infamous last show at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa. I have been to Clear Lake several times, but unfortunately have never stopped in to see the ballroom. It is renovated to look as it did the night of that show from what I understand.

Something I just learned in the past couple of years was that Waylon Jennings, who was playing bass guitar in Buddy Holly's band was actually supposed to be on the plane, but gave up his seat to Buddy to ride in the freezing tour bus that frequently had problems. Waylon's apparent last words to Buddy were "I hope your ol' plane crashes", a joke he said he never got over.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog... did you see I linked to you today? I love your site... The address on the blogroll needs to be inklingblog.com though. Let's exchange regularly!

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home